Metropolitan Electric Tramways No: 331
Although not currently supported
by the LCCTT, it is included as a restored and operational
London tram at the National Tramway Museum, Crich.
This was the third and final experimental Feltham tram built by
the Union Construction Co. for the M.E.T. in 1929, nicknamed at
the time, “Cissie”. The other two experimental trams, No: 319
and 330 were called “Poppy” and “Blossom”.
The tram being constructed for “pay as you enter” with the
conductor standing at the door and taking fares on boarding,
hence the central doors.
Like all of the remaining M.E.T. trams “Cissie” was transferred
into the fleet of the newly formed London Passenger Transport
Board and renumbered 2168. In September 1936 it was withdrawn
from service and later sold to Sunderland Corporation as
“Cissie” could not be converted for operation on the South
London conduit routes due to the central entrance.
Modifications were made before it could be put into service
again, including changing the current collector from twin
trolleys to a pantograph and the removal of the driver’s seat
and the air power to the doors. Its number was changed to 100 in
the Sunderland fleet.
It was withdrawn from service in 1951.
It arrived at Crich in 1961, where it remained in as withdrawn
condition until partial restoration under the sponsorship of
British Steel whose colours it operated in at the Gateshead
Garden Festival of 1990.
“Cissie” has since been restored to M.E.T. livery and forms an
important member of the Crich operating fleet.